There are some individuals who still think that gmail can only be used for personal accounts. While there is nothing wrong with using a gmail account to communicate with your friends and to stay current among news sources and retailers, there are also many reasons to consider using gmail for your business.
Google provides several services that allow businesses to use the Gmail platform for their email. This service allows a business to use gmail as their main email program while the email address comes through the businesses URL. The service is provided by Google App and is a separate service from general Google accounts. The app provides access to many of the free tools that Google offers without customization.
When it comes to your business communication there is nothing more important than having a high level of efficiency combined with a secure environment. Almost every business in the United States and throughout the world uses email ins some form. With that being said, some companies are behind the competition when it comes to the productivity, security, and efficiency of their email systems. This is why it is a good idea to at least consider gmail for your company’s email needs.
Benefits of Gmail for Business
Making any type of change for your business can be a difficult decision. However, when it comes to your small business there are several reasons to consider using gmail. Here are some of the benefits that using gmail for your small business can have.
- Branded Email: in the past businesses could use gmail for their company, but their domain was not included. For this reason, many businesses chose not to use the service because it came off as unprofessional. Google realized this and now provides companies with the opportunity to personalize emails using addresses with your domain. For example it is possible to create accounts using email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. While your email is being powered by gmail, it makes your company seem more legit to consumers and other outsiders, providing you with the best of both worlds.
- Support 24/7: Another benefit of using gmail for your small business email is because if anything goes wrong you have access to support at any time of the day or night either through email or by phone. Knowing that you have access to help at any time should something go wrong can give you peace of mind for at least one aspect of your business.
- Travelling: Perhaps one of the biggest benefits of using gmail for your small business is that you can stay connected no matter where you are. Gmail allows you to sync all of your devices so that you have access to your account even while you are travelling. Additionally, the device that you use does not have to be powered using the Android system. Gmail will work with BlackBerry, Apple iOS, as well as other operating systems.
- Not Just Email: One of the best things about gmail is that email is just one of the things that you can do with the application. There are several other communication options within the app as well. You can use a chat feature for instant communication or even host a video meeting with clients or coworkers who are located in other areas of the world. All of this can be completed through your inbox.
- Security: In today’s day and age everyone understands the importance of security. A company that does not have an appropriate security plan in place is just asking for trouble. The last thing that any company wants is for their email to be hacked or for their messages to be intercepted by an unwanted third party. When using gmail you know that you are getting top of the line security for your email application. Google is known for making sure that all of their applications are as secure as possible at all times.
Setting up Business Accounts on Gmail
In order to start using gmail for your small business you will need to sign up for a Google Apps account. To do this, simply go to google.com and enter your company URL when asked for a domain name. Another option is to purchase your domain from Google. Once you have entered this information simply click get started and enter all of the information about yourself and your company. You will need to agree to the terms of service. Once you have accepted the terms your new account will be created using your company domain name. During the setup process you will be taken to a page that offers instructions on how to verify that you own the domain name you are asking for. Simply follow the instructions and you are ready to start using gmail for your company.
Setting up and Accessing Gmail on your Website
Once you have created your account you will need to follow some technical steps in order to begin sending emails and receiving emails through your site. As mentioned you will need to prove that you own the domain name. There are 4 different ways that you can verify that you are the owner of the domain. Choose one of these through the setup wizard and complete the process. Once you have proven ownership you will need to log into your domain host account to change the setup of the email servers. Specifically, you will need to change the MX entries on the account. Once these are changed all incoming email will be pointed to google’s mail hosting.
Once setup is complete you will have a link provided that allows you to sign in. To use your account simply open gmail.com, enter your username and your password, and sign in. You are now able to send and receive emails through this account, which is a gmail account, but uses your company URL.
*Featured Image – Credit Rawpixel.com