Gmail backup has been never more important than today. You know hackers are getting stronger and they are always looking for the smallest windows to get into your Gmail account. And once they get in, you not only lose your data but may also lose your account altogether. In such an unfortunate situation, you would want to have a Gmail backup where all your Gmail data is saved in a safe place.
Whether you agree or not, for the internet users all around the world (excluding countries where internet usage is under restrictions), the dependence on Google and its products is increasing day by day. From searching something on Google search engine, to finding a location on Google Maps, and from deciding the best restaurant in town with the help of Google reviews to managing our emails with Gmail, we are all surrounded by Google products.
And all this dependency is quite justifiable for multiple reasons. For example, no other internet services company can come even close to Google for the range of services they provide. Moreover, the quality of services is just a class apart. The most important aspect of Google products is their security features; rarely have we heard news of hack into any Google products.
Hence, Gmail is one of the safest email services you can have today. Having said that, we cannot be completely sure about anything online; how many times have heard big and reliable companies being hacked mercilessly by hackers. You don’t want to find yourself in a situation where you completely depend on Google products and suddenly lose control/access to your data and accounts because of any online breach.
Why Gmail backup is important if Google and its products are unhackable?
It is important to understand that while Google and Gmail are almost unhackable by hackers, if you fall in a hacking trap and give access to your account to the hackers yourself, Google can’t help much. The security system of Google is as good as we can have, but we are also aware of the methods hackers use to get hands on your credentials.
For example, you might type in your Gmail credentials on a fake Gmail page which is basically a hacker’s trap to get your user ID and password. As soon as you type in your credentials without taking notice of the wrong URL, your credentials will be in the hands of the hacker. You basically hand over your credentials to the hacker in a plate; you only realize this when it’s too late. Hence, to be on the safe side, it is important that you have a Gmail backup.
Now as it is established that having a Gmail backup is critical, let’s move on to some methods and tools that can be used to create a safe Gmail backup.
Gmail Backup with Google Takeout
Google has a product name Google Takeout to create a backup of your Google account; this obviously includes your Gmail data as well. Google knows its strengths; it has one of the strongest security systems available today, but despite that, it knows that anything is possible in the online world. That is the reason why it has created a product that is basically designed for the worst situations; that is when an unfortunate breach event happens to its users. So, this is another reason to
How to create a Gmail backup with Google Takeout
To create a Gmail backup with Google Takeout, here are the steps:
- Go to https://takeout.google.com/settings/takeout. You must sign in to your Google account to proceed further. If you are not signed in, Google Takeout’s page won’t appear and you cannot proceed further.
- On the Google Takeout page, you will have the options to select the data you want to backup.
- Use the scrollbar to reach and select Gmail from the list. There will be a slider to turn on the back up for Gmail; turn that on. You will also see a down arrow; you can click on that to further select which items from the Gmail should have a backup.
- The options include ‘Include all your mail‘ and ‘Select labels‘. If you select the second option, a new screen will appear which shows a list of labels (folders such as inbox, sent, drafts, etc). Choose the labels which you want to have a backup of.
- After choosing the labels, click on the Next button that lies on the lower left side of the screen.
- You will now reach the ‘Customize archive format‘ screen. Here, you will have to define the features of the backup file. There are three features to define: File type, Archive size, and Delivery method.
- In the File type option, you will have the .zip format and .tgz. The .zip format is the default format and most of the users can open it easily.
- The Archive size section contains different size options. The maximum size is 50 GB while you can also choose 1 GB, 2GB, 4GB, and 10GB.
- The delivery method is about deciding the medium to receive the backup data. You will have to choose from four options: 1- email download link, 2- Dropbox file, 3- OneDrive file, and 4- Google Drive file. (It is important to note that getting the backup through Google Drive will use the Drive space. Hence, it is preferable to choose other methods to receive the backup file. )
- After choosing your archive format option, you will have to click on Create Archive button that lies in the lower left corner of the screen.
- You will see a notification that your archive is being prepared. The preparation of the archive takes time. As soon as the archive is ready, you will receive an email notification.
- Follow the instructions in the email to receive your Gmail archive.
While there are other methods to create a Gmail backup, the method we discussed here today is the most preferable because Google Takeout is a Google product and you can rely better on a Google product for a backup of Google product.