If you regularly send emails to a certain group of people in Gmail, there is a better way to deal with the situation rather than typing in multiple email addresses again and again. Today, we will learn how to create email groups in Gmail.
In Gmail, you can make a group of recipients and easily send emails to all of them. If you know how to create email groups in Gmail, you can send an email to five people or even five hundred people without worrying about typing their email addresses; you just have to type one word; the group name.
How to Create Email Groups in Gmail
If you have email groups in your Gmail, you can type in the group name instead of trying the email addresses of multiple recipients. As you start typing the group name, Gmail will automatically suggest the relevant group; select the relevant group and the Gmail will auto-fill the To field with all the email addresses present in the group.
If you don’t know how to create email groups in Gmail, you don’t need to worry about it; we will sort out that for you right here in this post. Moreover, if you already have created groups in your Gmail contacts, and want to know about different options to work with these groups, you are at the right place! We will also discuss different tips and tricks to work with the email groups.
How to Create a New Email Group in Gmail
- Open the Google Contacts Page.
- You will see the list of all the contacts that you have saved; select the contacts that you want to add in a group.
- Keep the contacts selected and click on the Groups button that you will see on the top of the screen.
- A drop-down menu will open, click on the Create New
- Choose a name for the newly created contact group.
- Click on OK to save the contact group.
- You can now see the newly created group in the left sidebar under My Contacts
Creating an Empty Contact Group
If you do not have contacts added to your Google Contacts yet, you can start by creating an empty contact group. Here is the step-by-step process:
- Open the Google Contacts.
- On the left side, you see the New Group option; click on that.
- Set a name for the group and hit OK.
Adding Members to the Contact Group
After creating the group, you will have to add email addresses.
- Click on the group name which you will find in the left sidebar of the Google Contacts page.
- Click on the Add to button to add a specific email address.
- You can import a group of contacts from an external source by clicking on the More
- Many a times, we mistype the email addresses. If you have added an incorrect email address, you can delete the contact and add a new one.
How to Send Emails to Contact Groups in Gmail
You must have done good sorting while creating groups; you must have made groups of work, friends, family, and old classmates. If you have an email that you think every member of a specific groups needs to receive, you can do it with a couple of clicks.
- Log into your Gmail account.
- Type the name of the group in the To As you start typing, Gmail will automatically suggest the closely matching groups. Select the one you are interested in.
- As you select the group, Gmail will automatically fill the To field with all the email addresses present in the group.
- You might not always use the To field to send messages to groups. There are Cc and Bcc options as well that you might want to use.
Sending Emails to Selected Member(s) Within a Group
Despite how well you sort out the groups, there are situations when you want to exclude a few members of the group. If you are having a party and you want to send the invite to all the friends except a few, there is an easy way to do it. You can use the same group mailing option with some tweaks.
If the contacts to be deselected a few, you can do it manually by going through the list and clicking on the little x sign next to the email address. If there are a lot of email addresses that need to be left out while sending an email to a specific group, you should rather pick the ones that you want to include in the recipients’ list. Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Go to the To field where all the email addresses are listed after you select a specific group. Type the group name one and when the group appears, click on the group to open the list of contacts within that group.
- Select the group from the drop-down menu of the contacts.
- You can scroll down the list of contacts within the group and select the ones you want to send email to.
- Click on the Select button after you have chosen all the required contacts.
Delete Contact(s) From a Contact Group
Before we tell you the steps, it is important to mention here that you have to follow these steps EXACTLY as they are written here because if you try any other method, you might delete the contacts permanently from the Google Contacts and not just from a specific group.
Here are the Steps to delete the contact(s) from a group:
- Go to Google Contacts and choose the group.
- Select one or more contacts from the group which you want to delete or edit.
- Click on the Groups
- Select the group you want to delete the contacts from and uncheck the box.
- Click on the Apply
- If every step is done right, you will see a notification on the top of your screen indicating that the contacts have been removed from the group.
Now that you have learned how to create email groups in Gmail, it will be easier for you to create contact groups, interact with groups, and manage the groups according to your needs. Do comment below and let us know how you feel about the Google contact groups.