You can change your display name on Gmail – the name seen by the recipients when sending your emails. This method of changing your display name in Gmail is only for emails sent from gmail desktop login and will not sync with all devices such as Android or iPhone . This method also does not control how your contacts have saved your display name in their address book.
- Log into your Gmail account then click the gear
- Go to the Accounts tab In Settings,.
- Select the Edit Info link next to the account you would like to update where it says Send Mail As:,
- Click the button next to the second option below Name:, type your desired display name and Save Changes.
The primary username for gmail is the name that is chosen when you first create a new email account. If you create your gmail account using a Google+ account with an alternate email address such as a hotmail email address or a yahoo email address, your primary username will automatically be changed to the firstname.lastname@example.org. All of your email notifications will be sent to the primary email address that is set.
When using gmail you have the option to enter as many alternate email address as you would like for your email access. If you want to promote one of these other email addresses to be the primary user name in the future, you will first need to remove the alternate address from your existing email address list and then create a new account that uses the alternate email address for the primary username.
There are a number of different reasons that you may want to change your primary username for your gmail account. Perhaps you signed up for a gmail account with a company name that you no longer use or you chose a name with a nickname that is not professional or is no longer relevant. No matter what the reason for wanting to change your primary username, there are certain steps that must be taken in order to do so.
Notes about Gmail Accounts
When creating your gmail account your username is the full email address that is used. This means that if you want to change your primary display name of the account you are going to need to change or delete the email that is currently linked to the account in order to change the username.
If you are currently using gmail for your google account you will not be able to change your gmail username once it is registered. You can delete gmail from the account and then use a different non-gmail email address for the google account. You may also simply create a new google account using a different username. If gmail is not used for your google account you will be able to change your username at any time using a new email address as long as you delete the email from your existing account first.
Adding Alternate Email Addresses
- First, log into your gmail account
- Once logged in, click on the drop down arrow located next to you profile picture and then click on account.
- Click on the edit tab located next to email addresses. Next, enter the alternate email address that you want to use located under the tab “change associated emails.”
- Click Save
- Return to the inbox and then find the verification message has arrived indicating new changes to your account. Open this message and then click the link in order to confirm the change that you made.
- Recheck your email to view the confirmation message.
Deleting and Creating a Gmail Account Using a New Primary Username
If you need to create a new account with a new primary user name you will need to follow these steps.
- Go to the main page of gmail and log into your current account. Click the account button located in the drop down menu by your profile picture. Find the edit button located next to email addresses and then click remove to delete the alternate email address that you are planning to use as your new primary username. This step is only necessary if you have already added the alternative email address to your account.
- Next, sign out of your gmail account and then click on sign up from the main screen.
- Fill out the form with the required information, including name, birth date, gender, and your desired username and your password. Enter the required words for the Captcha box and then click on next step.
- Enter your phone number for verification and then choose how you would like to receive your confirmation code, either by text message or with a phone call.
- Sign into your gmail account using your new primary user name and by entering the verification code that you received.
- Return to your account page and add any alternate email address you wish to be associated with your account.
Creating a New Username for Gmail
If you simply want to change your username for your gmail account you can do this quite simply. First, log into your gmail account. You will then go to the account settings tab located next to your profile. Click on the edit information button and find the circle located under the gmail name that you currently use. Simply enter the new name that you would like to be shown and then click on the save changes. You will need to confirm the changes that you make through a confirmation email that will be sent to you.
If you want to change your username for all of your google accounts you will need to first access your google plus account. Click on the home tab and then profile. Click on your current username to edit. Find the more options tab and enter your new gmail account information. You can then see how your gmail name will look by clicking on the display my name as tab. Then click on the save button. A new window will appear and you can click on the rename button in order to confirm the changes.
If for any reason you decide that you want to change your display name in gmail it is possible to do so by following the steps provided above. These steps are fairly simple to follow. If you are not using gmail for your account the steps are fairly easy. If you are currently using a gmail account and want to rename it you will first have to delete the account in order to change the username.